Great Days of Service Bonham
Great Days of Service is a cooperative effort to improve our town, develop community pride and build positive relationships within our community. Churches, businesses, civic groups, youth groups, schools and individuals come together to complete service projects. Children and youth under age 18 are welcome to volunteer, as long as they have a responsible adult that will stay with them.
Saturday Schedule (October 14, 2017)
- 8 am – Check-in and breakfast provided by First United Methodist Church at the fellowship hall of First Baptist Church of Bonham at 710 N Center
- 9 am – 12 noon – Service Projects at various locations
- 12 pm – 1 pm – Lunch provided by Bethlehem Baptist Church at the fellowship hall of First Baptist Church of Bonham at 710 N Center
2017 Service Projects on Saturday, Oct 14
- Community Clean-up – help pick up trash around downtown, parks and other public locations; clean up Bailey Inglish Cemetery, Gates-Hill and Willow Wild Cemetery too!
- Home Improvements – yard work and home maintenance at the homes of elderly or disabled people – 2017 project will be building a wheelchair ramp for a disabled vet
- Food Drive – sort, organize and move canned goods to be donated to local groups who feed hungry people
- Nursing Home Visits – sing, dance, play games and visit with residents of area nursing homes, assisted living facilities and group homes
- Powder Creek Playground – apply sealer to the playground, add mulch and do other maintenance work at Powder Creek Playground
- Isaiah’s Closet – sort gently used children’s clothing for this new non-profit organization that supports foster families and the kids who live in foster care.
- Joy Jamboree is a dance for adults with disabilities and an event to raise funds to support future activities for adults with disabilities. This year’s event theme is Fiesta. This event will be on Saturday evening, Oct 14. Volunteers needed include: 5 for hair/nails (arrive at 5 PM), 2 for photos (arrive at 5:30 PM), 3 for food service (arrive at 5:30 PM).
- Pregnancy Care Center – cleaning out the creek bed behind the center
- Amphitheater Project – Revitalization of the Amphitheater at Fort Inglish Park. This phase of the project involves power washing, removal and disposal of wooden bleacher seats and tearing down and removal of two small buildings. Tools needed include hand tools to remove rusty bolts, hammers, pry bars etc. for destruction of small buildings.
Service Project on October 7:
- Recycling Project is a fundraiser for the Literacy Council, who provides free GED classes and literacy assistance for adults. Volunteers will help unload cars and trucks with donations on Saturday, Oct 7.