Registration is open for Bonham’s seventh annual Great Days of Service. This year, most service projects will be in the morning on Saturday, October 14.
On Oct 14, volunteers will check-in at the First Baptist Church’s fellowship hall starting at 8:00 am and be treated to pancakes by the First United Methodist Church. By 9:00 am volunteers will be sent out to begin work on several different service projects, including:
• Community Clean-up – volunteers will pick up trash, pull weeds, put out mulch, weed-eat and clean up community parks, the downtown square, Bailey Inglish Cemetery, Willow Wild Cemetery, Gates-Hill Cemetery and other public locations.
• Home Improvement – volunteers will do yard work and minor home improvement projects for elderly and disabled homeowners.
• Powder Creek Playground – volunteers will paint a new coat of sealer, add more mulch and do other needed playground maintenance at this community built playground.
• Food Drive – volunteers will sort, move and re-stock the shelves of local organizations who give food to hungry people. Canned food drives will be held at Brookshire’s from Oct 1-14 and at all of the Bonham schools from Oct 2-12. Additional food drives will be conducted by other Great Days of Service partner organizations in October.
• Nursing Homes – volunteers will sing, dance, visit and play bingo and other games with residents of local nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
• Isaiah’s Closet – sort gently used children’s clothing to support foster homes and children in foster homes.
On Saturday, volunteers can return to the First Baptist Church fellowship hall between 12:00 – 1:00 pm for lunch provided by Bethlehem Baptist Church and to hear the results for the day.
The Fannin County Literacy Council provides free literacy classes and GED prep classes for adults. In order to raise funds to support these classes, they will once again be hosting the Recycling Project. Everyone is encouraged to clean out their homes of unwanted items and bring them to the Fannin County Precinct 4 Barn at 1369 E. Sam Rayburn Drive, Bonham on Saturday, October 7 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. For a complete list of items that will be accepted, go to www.gds-bonham.org.
The Joy Jamboree will be held in the evening on Saturday, October 14. This event is a special dance, similar to a prom, for adults and young adults with disabilities and/or special needs at the Housing Authority. Volunteers are needed to help with makeup, hair and nails, decorate, serve food, serve as DJ’s and help with clean-up. For more information, email email@example.com or call Liz Dyvig at 940-594-9414. To sign up as a volunteer, go to the Great Days of Service website.
Children and youth under age 18 are welcome to volunteer, as long as they have a responsible adult that will stay with them.
Register Now – Those interested in volunteering for any of the service projects register on-line here by October 5. This will allow the leaders to plan how many homes can be worked on, how many trash bags are needed, how many nursing homes can be visited, etc. Some projects will have limits on the number of volunteers who can sign up for certain projects. This is in an effort to avoid having volunteers with nothing to do at some work sites. Late and on-site registrations will still be accepted, but there will be less choices in what service projects to work on. Sign up now