Some projects for 2018 have already filled up. These projects have been taken off the registration list and a note has been made below. Check back for updates.
1. Community Clean-up at Bailey Inglish Cemetery – Pick up trash, rake leaves, weed eat and clean-up the Bailey Inglish Cemetery at the corner of 6th and Lynn Streets on Saturday, Oct 13. All volunteers are encouraged to bring work gloves. Trash bags will be provided by 4R Coatings. Volunteers are encouraged to bring rakes and/or weed eaters if they can. When registering, please indicate what equipment you can bring. Maximum Number of Volunteers: 40 This project is full.
2. Community Clean up at Willow Wild Cemetery – Clean up the Willow Wild Cemetery near the intersection of Hwy 121 and Hwy 56 in Bonham on Saturday, Oct 13. Volunteers needed include: people to pick up old, faded flowers, small branches, dead grass, etc; volunteers with power gas blowers for blowing dead grass off monuments and curbing; volunteers with weed eaters to trim around monuments, curbing and fence rows; volunteers with chain saw for trimming small tree limbs and brush in fence rows. (Volunteers are asked to bring any gas blowers, weed eaters or chain saws they have to be used. When registering, please indicate what equipment you can bring. All volunteers are encouraged to bring their own work gloves.) Volunteers Needed: unlimited number
3. Community Clean up at Gates Hill Cemetery – Clean up at the Gates Hill Cemetery in south Bonham on Saturday, Oct 13. Volunteers needed to trim, pick up brush and other tasks. Volunteers are asked to bring any gas blowers, weed eaters or chain saws they have to be used. When registering, please indicate what equipment you can bring. All volunteers are encouraged to bring their own work gloves. Trash bags will be provided by 4R Coatings. Maximum Number of Volunteers: 40
4. Home Improvements – Help needy elderly and/or disabled folks with “honey-do” tasks like raking leaves, trimming bushes or trees, changing smoke detector batteries, minor home repairs, etc. on Saturday, Oct 13. Total Volunteers Needed: to be determined
5. Powder Creek Playground – we will give a fresh coat of sealer on the playground at Powder Creek Park, add more mulch and do other maintenance too on Saturday, Oct 13. Maximum Volunteers Needed: 20 This project is full. If you are a member of Bonham High School’s National Honor Society, see Mrs. Spiller about signing up.
- Fannin County Community Ministries
- Fannin County Family Crisis Center
- Manna House
Canned goods will be collected at:
- Brookshire’s from Oct 1-12
- All Bonham ISD schools from Oct 2-11
- Other partner organizations can collect food at their locations in early October.
Collected food should be brought to Bailey Inglish cafeteria on Saturday, Oct 13 between 9:15 am – 10:00 am. Contact Bailey Inglish office if you need to drop off during school hours on Thursday or Friday.
Volunteers Needed: maximum of 80 people
7. Nursing Home Visitations – visit residents on Saturday, Oct 13 in area nursing homes and assisted living centers. This year we are going with a theme of “Bonham in the 1950’s.” We will have a slide show with pictures of Bonham’s square, buildings, parade and schools from the 50’s. We have a story written by a man who grew up in Bonham in the 50’s that will be added in. We already have some singers lined up to throw in some era songs. Others are learning some dances such as Hand Jive and the Stroll that are simple enough that other volunteers can learn them on Saturday morning if they want to join in. Community volunteers can also be very helpful in the following areas: help gather nursing home residents from their rooms (while we set up); sit at table with residents … encourage the residents to clap and have fun with us; help us hand out items to residents if needed. Those performing will be in 50’s attire… but this is not mandatory for other volunteers. Volunteers Needed: unlimited number
8. The Isaiah’s Closet – is a non-profit organization that recently opened their main facility in downtown Bonham. They provide childhood necessities to children who are involved with the child welfare system, as well as support groups and trainings for licensed foster families. This year they will need volunteers to do a wide variety of tasks in The Isaiah Closet Resource Center on Saturday, October 13.
Sorting children’s clothing/items: 5-10 volunteers
Heavy lifting and manual labor: 5-10 volunteers.
This project is full.
9. Pregnancy Care Center – volunteers needed to sort through and inventory clothing and baby items on Saturday, October 13 at the Fannin Pregnancy Care Center on Center Street in Bonham. Volunteers Needed: 2-6 This project is full.
10. Joy Jamboree on Saturday, October 13 at 6 pm – Help host a special dinner & dance for teens and adults with disabilities at the Housing Authority in the evening on Oct 13th. This year’s theme is Hawaiian Luau. Volunteers needed include: 5 for hair/nails (arrive at 5 PM), 2 for photos (arrive at 5:30 PM), 5 for food service (arrive at 5:30 PM), 3 for registration/greeting (arrive at 5:30 PM). Volunteers Needed: 15
11. Pavillion Painting Project – Bonham Kiwanis Club will lead the effort to paint the Pavillion at the Trades Days site. Additional community volunteers are needed and encouraged to help too! Be sure to wear painting clothes and shoes. Bring paint brushes, rollers if you can.
12. Playground Painting Project – volunteers are needed to help paint the playground at the Housing Authority. Volunteers should wear clothing and shoes that can get paint on them. Paint, brushes and other supplies will be provided. Volunteers Needed: 5-10 – This project is full.
13. Fannin Health Clinic – is a free primary health care clinic that is 100% volunteer run and serves uninsured people. Volunteers are need to deep clean inside the clinic and do some yard work outside. Volunteers Needed : 5-15
14. Recycling Project – the Fannin County Literacy Council provides free literacy classes and GED prep classes for adults. In order to raise funds to support these classes, they will once again be hosting a Recycling Project. Everyone is encouraged to clean out their homes of unwanted items and bring them to the Fannin County Precinct 4 Barn at 1369 E. Sam Rayburn Drive, Bonham on Saturday, October 13 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. Volunteers are needed to help unload donations from cars and truck. Volunteers are encouraged to bring work gloves. Volunteers Needed: 5
SUGGESTED ITEMS INCLUDE:
- ATV’s—Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, 4 Wheelers, 3 Wheelers, and Jet Skis
- CAMERAS—Camcorders and all non-disposable film and digital cameras
- COLLECTIBLES—Comics, Figurines, Trading Cards, etc.
- COMPUTERS—Desktops, laptops, servers, LCD monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers, and all other computer components
- ENTERTAINMENT & ELECTRONICS—Cell phones, GPS devices, calculators, portable CD and DVD players, PDAs, and MP3 Players, Car and home audio equipment, satellite and cable boxes, VCRs, headphones, and multi-media projectors
- GOLD & SILVER
- HOME & GARDEN—Air purifiers, baby monitors, vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washers & dryers, power tools, electric razors, sewing machines, refrigerators and medical equipment
- JEWELRY—Costume Jewelry, Watches, and Handcrafted Jewelry
- MULTIMEDIA—DVD and VHS movies, audiobooks, and music CDs. All multimedia items must include original covers.
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS—Guitars, percussion, strings, woodwinds, brass, and electric keyboards
- NON-FICTION BOOKS—Cookbooks, craft books, textbooks, etc.
- OFFICE EQUIPMENT—Fax machines, typewriters, inkjet cartridges, printers, scanners, routers, shredders, and copiers
- POTTERY, COOKWARE & GLASS DINNERWARE—China, Porcelain, Art Pottery,
- SPORTING GOODS—Golf clubs and bags, athletic helmets and pads, baseball bats and gloves, basketball shoes, cleats, hockey sticks, ice skates, and roller blades
- TOYS & GAMES—Action figures, blocks, dolls, stuffed animals, etc.
- VEHICLES—Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles, Trailers and RV’s
- VIDEO GAMES—Video games, systems, and accessories
They are UNABLE to accept the following items:
- CRT computer monitors
- Office or Home Furniture, including mattresses
- Hazardous Materials.